New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Ginger Double Boiled Custard 姜汁炖蛋 - AFF HK Macau Desserts #2


I first heard of this dessert in a Hong Kong TVB serial when I was a kid. The actress, Miu Siew Wai keep on asking the man she loves to eat this steamed egg dessert. Then my mom tried making this and it was hoooooooooooorible. It was eggy, smelly and ultra sweet. Well, my mom loves all things sweet and her tolerance level for sugar is way way way higher than mine. I have better tolerance now than when I was a kid, but still, nowhere near my mom’s





When I think of making this, I can’t forget the horrible experience. Since this is a very Chinese dessert, I don’t want to add in vanilla. So, ginger will be a wonderful choice.
I’ve read in some blogs, to use up the milk in failed attempts to make ginger milk curd, egg is added and steamed, so that the gingered milk can be rescued and eaten.

But, I don’t want this to be as gingery as that. Mild enough to get rid of the eggyness is good enough.
I tried making with a few ratios of egg : milk and  I find this is my favourite.
If you don't want to put in ginger, you can use even less sugar.


Ginger Steamed Egg Custard
by WendyinKK

1 large egg
200ml fresh milk
3tsp sugar (more if you like it sweeter)
2 tsp ginger juice**

1. Lightly whisk eggs with sugar and ginger juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes until the eggs turn watery. Gently stir it to make sure all the sugar has dissolved.
2. Gently combine with milk (try not to incorporate air).
3. Strain the mixture.
4. Prepare a steamer, put water until it’s 1/2 inch above the steaming rack. Bring to a boil.
5. Pour egg mixture into prepared ramekins/cups. Cover with lid or aluminium foil.
6. Turn heat to lowest and put the filled ramekins onto the steaming rack. (the water should not bubble at all)
7. Cover and double boil it for 30 minutes.
8. Custard is set when it doesn’t budge when lightly tilted.

*I prefer using the wok to steam as the heat is not as intense as a pot
** Grate ginger and place grated ginger in palms, and squeeze the juice out.

smooth and wobbly :)


I am submitting this to Asian Food Fest Hong Kong Macau Month

3 comments:

  1. Do you have email, I'm from Shah Alam, I want to ask you about Dr takeishi soup

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi wendy,
    Thanks for the lovely recipe, will give it a try as I love eating this dessert whenever I visit HK.
    Love yr bowl with cover, may I know where you buy it. Is it expensive? Thanks.
    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoe,
    I bought it from Daiso. RM5 per set.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...