New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, May 15, 2015

Night Cereus Wintermelon Soup 霸王花冬瓜煲猪骨



I first heard of this flower from Annie.
And on one of my trips to KL, I spotted this at Dai Ma Herb Shop (One Utama). The price is quite cheap, I forgot how much but surely less than RM10 and one pack can last me few pots of soup.

Blooming night cereus is from the Cactus family, cousins with the Dragonfruit. The flower is usually planted for it's fragrance, but the fragrance after it has dried is very mild.


Night cereus is high in nutrition. Rich in Calcium and Phosphorus, and 13 kinds of amino acids. It also has quite a number of crucial trace minerals. In TCM, this flower is good for the lungs, as in for Tuberculosis, Bronchitis, cough, phlegm and many more.

Try this if you want to 'expel' toxins from your body. How does it expel? Don't ask me, I don't know much about TCM.


Night Cereus Wintermelon Soup

Reference: Sunday

300gm pork ribs
200gm wintermelon
20gm night cereus
2 candied dates
2 dried scallops

1. Soak night cereus until soft. Squeeze the flower to remove excess water.
2. Scald the ribs and wash it clean.
3. Bring 2L of water to boil. Add in everything and let it boil for 10 minutes then lower it down to a simmer for another 1.5 hours.
4. Season with salt and bring it back to a rolling boil for 5 to 10 minutes.



6 comments:

  1. Hi, I am retired and decided that it is high time I start cooking my own meals instead of depending on maids. it is indeed marvellous to see that the art of cooking has advanced so much that so many bloggers have an array of recipes that are sooo good. Thank you for sharing and I have chosen your blog to learn more about cooking especially baking. For baking, I guess I have to search your earlier blogs for simple to start recipes. warm regards, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. sugarnspice,
    I wish you all the best in your culinary journey :)
    cooking and baking is a rewarding activity for and your family
    I hope what I share is beneficial to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, sounds like a simple tasty soup. Could you give me the Chinese name for this herb please?
    Do you think it will be available in Ipoh Herb Shops?
    Thanks, Mrs Sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs Singh,
    The first three Chinese words of the recipe is the herb's name.
    You can show the recipe on your phone to the shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, what can I substitute for the pork ribs? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...